Saturday, February 18, 2012

Upgraded Workstation for Rushing



While attending the Gathering of the Seatweavers' Guild in Indiana last summer, I observed a bench similar to this being used for rushing. It provides a stable base for securing a chair and doing the necessary pulling, tugging, and packing involved in good rushing technique. After chasing several unsecured chairs around the top of my canvas covered bench, I broke down and went to the garage to scavenge some poplar and melamine surfaced chipboard. Now I have an efficient workstation. The height is customizable by changing the length of the pipe nipples.
Second upgrade was making a semi-circular opening in the side of my hickory "compressor board" or "packer" used to compress the woven rush toward the corners to keep it close and tight. This handy tool now grabs the rush on 3 sides of the rung and a couple quick taps tightens it right up.
I also started to use 3/16" wide staples, 10mm long in an upholstery stapler(BostitchTU97) to secure lengths of rush to the rungs instead of hand driven tacks. Much faster and less frustration. Thanks to Katherine at seatweavingrestoration.com for that tool tip.

1 comment:

  1. I believe it was Bill and Sally Brick who had this bench in use at the Gathering. As a team they made me quite envious of their speed in rushing a chair.

    ReplyDelete